Tuesday, November 15, 2016

November 15, 2016


  • This quotation, as you can see, appeared on my book-nerd calendar recently, but web-searching has revealed that Orwell never wrote this. You can Google it yourself: Lots of sites reproduce it; people who have looked for it have not found it in his writings. Doesn't really sound like him, does it?
  • This morning, the New York Times reviewed Michael Chabon's recent novel, Moonglow. (Link to review.) I've read lots of Chabon, first becoming aware of him, I think, when I saw the film Wonder Boys (2000) based on his 1995 novel with the same title. Great film with Michael Douglas as a burnt-out teacher of writing and Tobey Maguire as a talented student. Lots of other good performances, too. (Link to IMDB info.; link to trailer.)  Anyway, I'm looking forward to Moonglow (I've ordered it--not yet arrived)--though I did not particularly like his previous novel, Telegraph Avenue (2012). I've not read all of his novels--but most ...

  • Love this word ... gotta use it soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment