A clank! of rinse--a clunk! of spin.
I realize: Dyer straits we're in!
The laundry room just bows its head:
It knows the washer now is dead.
- Writer's Almanac today features the "All the world's a stage" speech from Shakespeare's As You Like It, a speech delivered by dark Jaques, who is the only one who does not join in the multiple marriage celebrations at the end of the play. Off he goes into the lonely darkness; he can't stand happiness. (Link to Writer's Almanac.)
- This morning, the New York Times announced that Colson Whitehead has won this year's National Book Award for Fiction for his novel The Underground Railroad, which I recently read and enjoyed. Link to NYT story.
- The NYT also announced that Bob Dylan will not go to Sweden to accept his Nobel Prize. Link to NYT story. He's left them blowin' in the wind.
- This afternoon I finished Whitehead's Zone One, his 2011 novel about a zombie apocalypse. Will blog about it on DawnReader on Sunday.
- A couple of newspaper cartoons I liked today ...